Thursday, February 08, 2007

Here's a tip for ya, buddy

In the US ya gotta do the math when it comes to tipping. I've heard from all sorts of people how they decide how much they'll leave their server. One person will leave say a U$20 bill on the table and if he gets good service, it'll stay. If not, the amount diminishes. Some, keep an eye on their watch gaging time from ordering to delivering food to the table. Me? I tend to watch my ice tea glass. If it stays full, then I know my server is keeping a close eye on the table and taking care of us. Most of those who wait tables are college age and they depend on the tip.

Here in Brasil, no math is involved. No gaging tactics. Whether you like the service or food, 10% is added to the total bill. A whopping 10%. It's easier here though I don't think it's fair. Sometimes you have great servers who deserve 15%-20%. Others, I wouldn't give them 5%. Anyway, just a difference between our 2 countries and one I have to remember when we go back...include a tip.

Which brings me to something that just really chaps my hide. It drives me nuts these places like TCBY, Starbucks and Cold Stone Creamery. They have these tip boxes. You know, I don't tip the Taco Bell employee who makes me stand at a counter while they prepare the food for me. So, why should I tip someone for making me a cup of coffee?

Okay, off that...my point is this...just showing the difference in cultures in tipping. Why I thought of that, I don't know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home