Thursday, March 22, 2007

RUUUUUUUN! It's a raid!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone likes to make a buck. I know I do. But I like to make a living legally. All throughout Sao Paulo folks set up stands selling things such as candy, cigarettes, toys, sunglasses, watches, flowers, pirated cds, pirated dvds and even pirated clothing. Why I could have bought the movie "The Passion" on dvd even before it made it to theatres here in Brazil! Talk about tempting. It was only about U$5.00! No, I didn't buy it.

Sometimes the cops do these raids. The police will all of a sudden appear out of nowhere and raid the streets. It's a sight to see these people gather up all their belongings in a flash. Most have things spread out on a sheet in the middle of the sidewalk ready to wrap it up and take off. Still others have their "stores" on wheels. Close up quick and take off!

Today I was coming out of a subway station. The subway here is called "the metro". I went into Habib's to get a hamburger and all of sudden I hear a lot of yelling. It's the cops. They're making a raid. These guys run so fast getting their things together before the police can catch them. However, one man was selling bogus baseball caps and clothing. They nabbed him. And it was a fight belive me. A fight broke out. People were yelling. Then the cops pulled their guns. It got quiet. The police rounded up the goods, took off with them and took the man in.

They only nabbed one guy, one out of many. I guess the others fled.

Funny thing is that after the raid? The vendors come back out and set up as if nothing happened. Business as usual til the next raid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home